Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My Vacation: Day 1/2

My mom dropped me off at the airport and I found my flight was delayed an hour due to rain in Atlanta I settled in with "Wolf at the Table" by Augusten Burroughs and some iced coffee.

When we landed in I got some lunch and people watched while I waited for my flight to LGA to start boarding. I had a window seat for this ride and was able to take some cloud pictures which are some of my favorite things. I was listening to "Welcome Home Son" by Radical Face when I got my first glimpse of NYC. Even though I was tired and ready to see Daniel when I saw the skyline my brain was instantly quieted. New York City! We landed, I got my little suitcase and got in a cab. The cabbie was talking to me, asking where I was from, etc etc, but I was just trying to take it all in. We were on the highway and there was not a very good view. Finally, a break in the concrete barriers and I saw it - The Empire State building (along with the Chrysler building of course). Again, my brain was silenced. I was here!

I got to Daniel's building and walked up his 5 story walk up for the first of many times on my trip. I was definitely not prepared in my maxi dress and roller bag. I tripped and almost fell many times as I slowly made my way up to his apartment huffing and puffing. (very important tangent: my phone had died or else I fully assure you D would've been helping his poor little fat friend up the stairs) I knocked pathetically on the door and his roommate Rachel let me in. I'm pretty sure I said something like "hiyou'rereallyprettyican'tbreathe" and walked right past her. I gave Daniel a nod and collapsed on his bed. Oh yeah, your girl needs to start exercising. After I stopped hyperventilating, we said our proper hellos. Then the three of us headed down the street to Traif.

We had a longer wait, but the manager offered to comp a round of drinks and dessert so I didn't really mind the wait. (Plus, I was in NEW YORK CITY.) I have to say this place was the perfect first restaurant. It's a tapas restaurant (small savory dishes, think appetizer size) and they have a mix of "heavy" and "lighter" options. We all picked a heavy and light option, sharing all six plates between the three of us. Here's our menu, light to heavy:

  • blistered shishito peppers, cantaloupe, marconas, feta, mint, orange
  • green asparagus, pistachios, shaved radish-celery-carrot, yogurt, tarragon, citrus vin.
  • baby spinach, sugar snaps, red grapes, currants, sunflower seeds, feta, spiced vin
  • bbq, braised short rib sliders, sweet potato fries, smoked paprika aioli
  • seared foie gras, yukon potatoes, bacon, sunny egg, maple, hot sauce
  • dayboat scallops, snap and english pea risotto, lemon-caper brown butter

The drink I got was a Dutch Apple Cider (new amsterdam gin, laird's applejack, jk's scrumpy cider, honey, lemon, and peychaud's), but the one I really loved was what D and Rachel got on their second round: a Red Pearl (chili-infused vodka, thai basil, kiwi and citrus sour). It was just so fresh and perfect. Get that drink if you ever go there. The food was all amazing too. For dessert we had bacon donuts, but I could only eat a bite or two after all the delicious food we had.
We headed back to the apartment and I made my way up the stairs again, Daniel assuring me that it would get easier by the end of the trip. This is going to sound cheesy, but I was so happy to be there I would've walked up 10 flights. I would've had to take some breaks but I would've made it. Shower, some planning, getting acquainted with Rachel's cat, and then bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment